Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlh2640

I am confused why it is making me enter all moving expenses for both me and my wife profile when we are joint filing. It seems like it is duplicating the expenses

My wife and I are filing our taxes together jointly again this year. In 2015 we moved, now when I go through moving expenses it is making me enter all of the moving expenses/lawyer fees and such twice (on each of our profiles) This seems wrong to me that we both would get credit and not just one. However it does not tell me that the lower income gets credit like it does for medical expenses per say. Please help me as it makes like a 5000 dollar difference return wise.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am confused why it is making me enter all moving expenses for both me and my wife profile when we are joint filing. It seems like it is duplicating the expenses

Hi, you can enter half the expense on each of your returns if you both moved for new jobs or to go to school.  If you both moved because one of you got a new job then only that person claims the expenses on their return and enters the income earned at the new job only.  Moving expenses are a deduction and not a tax credit, therefore it is tied to the reason for the move and not something that is usually shared between spouses.

I hope this helps clarify things for you.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Hi, you can enter half the expense on each of your returns if you both moved for new jobs or to go to school.  If you both moved because one of you got a new job then only that person claims the expenses on their return and enters the income earned at the new job only.  Moving expenses are a deduction and not a tax credit, therefore it is tied to the reason for the move and not something that is usually shared between spouses.

I hope this helps clarify things for you.

jlh2640

Ok thanks
jlh2640

We both got new jobs so I will split it