Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I use the simplified calculation for moving expenses? I didnt save our receipts when moving from BC to NS but CRA states you not need them w/simplified method

Is it even possible to do in Turbotax? Or do I just fill in the existing fields with the simplified calculations instead of actual amounts?
1 Reply

How can I use the simplified calculation for moving expenses? I didnt save our receipts when moving from BC to NS but CRA states you not need them w/simplified method

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Moving expenses: Expenses you can deduct here is the Simplified Method.

Meal expenses
If you choose to use the simplified method to calculate your meal expenses, you may claim a flat rate per person. Although you do not need to keep detailed receipts for actual expenses, the CRA may still ask you to provide some documentation to support your claim.

Vehicle expenses
If you choose to use the simplified method to calculate the amount to claim for vehicle expenses, multiply the number of kilometers by the cents/km rate for the province or territory where the travel began. The CRA may still ask you to provide some documentation to support your claim. You must keep track of the number of kilometers driven during the tax year for the trips related to your moving expenses.

Keep all your receipts and documents supporting your claim. Although you do not need to keep detailed receipts for actual expenses, the CRA may still ask you to provide some documentation to support your claim.

To claim moving expenses please follow the steps detailed in our TurboTax FAQ How do I claim moving expenses in TurboTax?

If your moving expenses total more than the income you earn at your new location, TurboTax will carry the leftover amount forward so that you can claim it in a future tax year. You can see this amount in the Review section of TurboTax.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.