Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trish51

How do I claim the LCGE for a QFFP - all answers point to information, but not how to actually claim within TurboTax. I need to fill out Schedule 3 and T657 - how?

1 Reply

How do I claim the LCGE for a QFFP - all answers point to information, but not how to actually claim within TurboTax. I need to fill out Schedule 3 and T657 - how?

Qualified farm property includes land, buildings, capital stock in family-farm corporations, interest in family-farm partnerships, and capital property such as milk or egg quotas. Qualified fishing property includes land, sea vessels, and eligible capital property such as fishing licenses.

Following are the instructions for how to claim it: 

Before you begin, be sure to calculate your proceeds of disposition and adjusted cost base

• Proceeds of Disposition â€“ The proceeds of disposition is the price you sold the property for plus any fees associated with the sale
  • Adjusted Cost Base. The adjusted cost base is the price you paid for it plus any capital improvements that you made

Please follow the steps below:

1. Click on the Income tab and select Investments or Select Find from the menu and enter capital gains
  2. Select Capital Gains and Capital Gains Deduction Profile 
  3. On the Your Capital Gains Profile screen, follow the instructions to report your gains or losses
  4. Check the box Claim Capital Gains Deduction on sale of Qualified Farming property, Fishing property, or Qualified Small Business Shares. A screen will open up allowing you to input information.

For more related information, please read our  TurboTax articles:

The Capital Gains Deduction

Claiming the Lifetime Capital Gains Exemption (LCGE)

Thank You for choosing TurboTax.