Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomandlin

How do I complete the vehicle CCA if I retired in June and immediately started my own business using the same vehicle?

I retired in June and want to stop claiming my vehicle CCA for business use from employment, and begin claiming the same vehicle as a business expense as self employed. Do I end the employment vehicle CCA by entering a disposition of the vehicle fair market value of the vehicle, and then start the self employed vehicle CCA as an acquisition using the same vehicle FMV? 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I complete the vehicle CCA if I retired in June and immediately started my own business using the same vehicle?

Simple answer, yes to both.  Since the change in use is not significant, I would show a disposition at the UCC on the T777 and then add it to the T2125 at the UCC in assets rather than additions.  There is no real reason to give up half a year CCA for this type of transfer.  It is business use to business use, no change in ownership.  You are really just clearing out the employment form and adding the self-employment form.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Simple answer, yes to both.  Since the change in use is not significant, I would show a disposition at the UCC on the T777 and then add it to the T2125 at the UCC in assets rather than additions.  There is no real reason to give up half a year CCA for this type of transfer.  It is business use to business use, no change in ownership.  You are really just clearing out the employment form and adding the self-employment form.