Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How should i claim moving and employment expenses with multiple jobs

in July 2016 we sold our home in Alberta and moved my family to a relatives home in bc. In September I got a job close by but only stayed for a short time. I then got a new job in a different location in BC which I traveled too weekly and stayed in a hotel for the remainder of 2016 and part of 2017. I have added the hotel expenses for the two months in 2016 under employment expenses. I have added the fuel and lodging costs for the move and about $8100 in commission and legal fee's for the sale of our home onto the moving expenses deduction. I also added in my total income from both jobs in BC (approx. $16000) minus the employment expenses (hotel). Am I correct in claiming this and have I entered this correctly?

1 Reply

How should i claim moving and employment expenses with multiple jobs

Since the deduction for moving expenses is directly related to how much income was earned at the new job, you may not end up with much of a deduction.  There could also be an issue with the use of employment expenses for your hotel stay.  You will need to have a signed T2200 from your employer stating that these expenses were necessary for your employment.  This usually relates to travel directly connected to employment activities.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/forms/t2200.html

You also have to be 40 kilometers closer to your new job than you were to your old job.  Your hotel is not considered to be your residence.  You might be best to run this by an accountant.