Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ssberg5

I am entering my home office expenses and the software indicates the expenses are going into an amount to carry forward as opposed to total claimable for 2023. Why?

4 Replies

I am entering my home office expenses and the software indicates the expenses are going into an amount to carry forward as opposed to total claimable for 2023. Why?

Is this for employment expenses, self-employment or rental? Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

ssberg5

Self-employment.

ssberg5

Turbo Tax online

Do you have enough income to use your home office expenses? The amount you can deduct for business-use-of-home expenses can't be more than your net income from the business before you deduct these expenses - you can't use these expenses to increase or create a business loss.