Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chris49

I am self employed. I moved 40km or more during the year. Can I write off the move as being for work since I don't get an offer of employment?

- aside form moving receipts of expenses, do I need any other files on record about my move

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am self employed. I moved 40km or more during the year. Can I write off the move as being for work since I don't get an offer of employment?

It doesn't matter that you are self-employed. Did you earn income at the new location? If so, you can claim moving expenses.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns206-236/219/slf-eng.html

The wording here "run a business at a new location" sounds like you would qualify.

If you simply moved closer to an existing location, the expenses would not qualify.

Edited to add: moving expenses can be carried forward for 2016 tax year too.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

It doesn't matter that you are self-employed. Did you earn income at the new location? If so, you can claim moving expenses.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns206-236/219/slf-eng.html

The wording here "run a business at a new location" sounds like you would qualify.

If you simply moved closer to an existing location, the expenses would not qualify.

Edited to add: moving expenses can be carried forward for 2016 tax year too.

chris49

hi Esther, Thanks, thats very helpful..
Now if I could pick your brain on that a little further…
So if I move for work as self-employed. My wife on the other hand had no job lined up on the other end.  If She paid half the bills for move, and I paid half the bills for move. So.. should I input full cost of move receipts we have combined, or only use the receipts that are the portion I paid for myself?

You can claim for the whole family providing you otherwise qualify.

Since the credit is reliant on how much income was earned at the new location. it is unlikely that CRA will allow moving expenses.  You have to have a new job in order to allow the expenses.

chris49

I moved near the end of the year so not much income after the move on that return, but what if I can show with the next years taxes that my business income doubled because of the move?  does it make a difference?  and are there any other reasons besides school that can help get credit from a move? we did about 4000kms so there were some significant costs involved would be nice to save some of it..
anyways, thanks for your answer Delphision.

If you are moving from place to place to find work, it is more appropriate to claim travel expenses rather than moving expenses.
Unless you actually gave up your residence and became employed somewhere else in a permanent position, CRA may disallow moving expenses.  Travel expenses, if you maintained one residence, is a better option for self-employment.  You would not claim mileage, but you would claim the business portion of fuel, maintenance and food and lodging.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/slprtnr/rprtng/t2125/ln9200-eng.html
Moving costs for school can only be applied against educational income like taxable grants.