Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shaunchap

I have a computer and an ipad I purchased for a business that has not yet earned revenue. How/Where do I enter in these office expenses? Thanks.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a computer and an ipad I purchased for a business that has not yet earned revenue. How/Where do I enter in these office expenses? Thanks.

If this is a sole proprietorship, you would answer yes to self-employment, which would trigger the T2125.  You can enter the computer as an asset if it over $500.  I would not add the iPad as an asset simply because the life expectancy is not of any great length.

While you can enter them, and fill in the details of your business, any start up costs, you will not be able to deduct CCA or the expenses until you have revenue enough to do so.  You will just have a carry forward.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If this is a sole proprietorship, you would answer yes to self-employment, which would trigger the T2125.  You can enter the computer as an asset if it over $500.  I would not add the iPad as an asset simply because the life expectancy is not of any great length.

While you can enter them, and fill in the details of your business, any start up costs, you will not be able to deduct CCA or the expenses until you have revenue enough to do so.  You will just have a carry forward.

shaunchap

Thanks for the detailed response.

Glad to help.:-)