Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm a self-employed writer and wondered which version of the software would be best and if there are any deductions writers can claim?

I don't own any property and my returns aren't complicated, but I want to ensure I can claim what I'm able but also not break any rules.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm a self-employed writer and wondered which version of the software would be best and if there are any deductions writers can claim?

If you want to use TurboTax CD/Download (for Windows), you can use any version to report your self-employment income and expenses. However, you may find it easier to do in TurboTax Home & Business CD/Download. Home & Business has more guidance on business/self-employment income & expenses, making it easier for you to maximize your deductions.

If you want to use TurboTax Online, you will need to use TurboTax Self-Employed Online. Its interview process will walk you step-by-step through filling out your business information. If you find that you need more help or advice, you can always upgrade to Assist & Review Self-Employed and have a tax expert answer your questions. They will also review your return before you file, to make sure everything is correct.

As for what you can claim as an expense, generally, you can claim any expenses that you incurred to earn your self-employment income. As a writer, you may be able to deduct work from home expenses, software purchases, perhaps convention fees, or travel costs. This Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) page lists many common expenses: Business Expenses

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you want to use TurboTax CD/Download (for Windows), you can use any version to report your self-employment income and expenses. However, you may find it easier to do in TurboTax Home & Business CD/Download. Home & Business has more guidance on business/self-employment income & expenses, making it easier for you to maximize your deductions.

If you want to use TurboTax Online, you will need to use TurboTax Self-Employed Online. Its interview process will walk you step-by-step through filling out your business information. If you find that you need more help or advice, you can always upgrade to Assist & Review Self-Employed and have a tax expert answer your questions. They will also review your return before you file, to make sure everything is correct.

As for what you can claim as an expense, generally, you can claim any expenses that you incurred to earn your self-employment income. As a writer, you may be able to deduct work from home expenses, software purchases, perhaps convention fees, or travel costs. This Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) page lists many common expenses: Business Expenses