Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pxcajina

I'm confused about my expenses for work. They're included in my invoices and I got reimbursed for them - do I not declare them in my return?

I work as an independent contractor and have to work abroad for a portion of the year.
3 Replies

I'm confused about my expenses for work. They're included in my invoices and I got reimbursed for them - do I not declare them in my return?

No. You can't claim expenses that were reimbursed by your employer, because you already have gotten that money back. 

pxcajina

@TurboTaxSusan as a freelancer, I have to invoice these expenses before I get them reimbursed, so they appear as line items on my invoices. I pay GST on the total amount, which is why I’m confused as to why I wouldn’t claim those expenses to offset the corresponding income. 

If you are self-employed, and you billed your clients for the expenses, then yes you can claim the expenses.