Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rnicol46

I'm needing to file a home office expense as I have worked from home 3 days a week for the last 3 years. It's not a home business. I am employed by a company.

Which Turbo tax program allows for this expense. Essentially expensing the office space, internet, heating, etc?
1 Reply

I'm needing to file a home office expense as I have worked from home 3 days a week for the last 3 years. It's not a home business. I am employed by a company.

Home Offices Expenses for Employees

When you’re a salaried paid employee or commissioned paid employee, there are more restrictions for claiming your home office. You can only claim a home office expense when you’re required to pay for it by your employer; you can’t claim it if your employer reimburses you for it. Your employer must file the proper paperwork by certifying your obligation to use part of your home as an office on Form T2200, Declaration of Conditions of Employment. As well, you can’t make the same tax deductions available to the self-employed.

Whether you are an Employee or Self-Employed, TurboTax Online makes it easy to claim your home office expenses.

If you need more help, consider TurboTax Live Assist & Review, and get unlimited assistance and advice as you do your taxes, plus a final review before you file. Or, choose TurboTax Live Full Service and have one of our tax experts do you return from start to finish.

TurboTax FAQ: How do I claim home office expenses?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.