Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help with the Northern Residents Travel Deduction - how can I claim more than 1 trip? And, can I claim the trips for my two kids and spouse?

3 Replies
TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

I need help with the Northern Residents Travel Deduction - how can I claim more than 1 trip? And, can I claim the trips for my two kids and spouse?

Yes, you can claim your household members too. You add all the trips, however, the maximum deduction for travel benefits you can claim for each eligible trip is the lowest of the following 3 amounts:

• the value of the taxable travel benefit received from your employer
  • the actual amount that you spent on your trip 
  • the lowest return airfare available at the time of the trip between the airport closest to your residence and the nearest designated city to that airport (the nearest designated cities are: Vancouver, BC, Calgary, AB, Edmonton, AB, Saskatoon, SK, Winnipeg, MB, North Bay, ON, Toronto, ON, Ottawa, ON, Montréal, QC, Québec, QC, Moncton, NB, Halifax, NS, St. John's, NL)

I hope this was helpful

Eggersdg

Yes I have an issue with this

as previous years I could click each family member for each trip that I claim

for 2021 it won’t let me click multiple people for each trip

seems like an issue with software

ive tried on desktop computer and mobile devices 

same issue

can you please tell me how I select more than 1 person for the northern trip deduction

I too am struggling with the 2021 revised form - Step 3, chart A.  It is not intuitive (and the fault there lies with CRA, QuickTax simply copies it).

However, I do not get any "clickable" names on the desktop version, but notice that chart B instructs "enter the name..." in the singular.  So I am using one line per person and dividing up the costs of each trip in columns 3,4 and 5 amounts accordingly (and it quickly fills up the form).  For me, two people taking two trips use four lines.