Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DRC4

I travelled to a Cancer Center for over 35 appmnts (over 70 trips) and was around 40km each way. Can I claim travel and parking expenses?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I travelled to a Cancer Center for over 35 appmnts (over 70 trips) and was around 40km each way. Can I claim travel and parking expenses?

You would make the claim based on the number of appointments.  You would then show the kilometers driven to and from each appointment.  For short trips such as this, they are unlikely to look kindly on meals or lodging.  Ensure that each way is over 40 kilometers.  Take an odometer reading next trip so that you can prove the distance.  CRA is becoming insistent on trip logs.  If it is under 40 kilometers one way, CRA will disallow.  Yes, you can claim parking costs.

You should find it under deductions in the menu tabs.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You would make the claim based on the number of appointments.  You would then show the kilometers driven to and from each appointment.  For short trips such as this, they are unlikely to look kindly on meals or lodging.  Ensure that each way is over 40 kilometers.  Take an odometer reading next trip so that you can prove the distance.  CRA is becoming insistent on trip logs.  If it is under 40 kilometers one way, CRA will disallow.  Yes, you can claim parking costs.

You should find it under deductions in the menu tabs.