Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tazmewin

I was told that in order for first time filer to file online for 2 yrs(2021&2022) I would have to buy the software or go to a professional tax filing office.Is this true?

Most places are quoting $70 or more to file a simple return with 1 small income amount for 2021 & multiple employers with tuition deduction for 2nd yr. How much is the software & will it work?
1 Reply

I was told that in order for first time filer to file online for 2 yrs(2021&2022) I would have to buy the software or go to a professional tax filing office.Is this true?

TurboTax uses NETFILE to send returns online, and most people who are filing for the first time can't NETFILE. Instead they would have to mail in their returns. 

Once you've received your Notice of Assessment for your first return, you should be able to NETFILE your second return (provided you meet the NETFILE eligibility criteria). However, due to the strike, you may not get the Notice of Assessment for your first return in time to meet the May 1st deadline. So, in your case you may have to mail in both returns. 

How much it will cost depends on what version of the software that you use. If you are 25 years old or under, you can file for free using TurboTax Online.