Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hoagieh

My wife is a realtor with Remax and I'm filling out the 'Other Employment Expenses'. Would her monthly fees go under or Expenses or Commission employee only expenses?

4 Replies

My wife is a realtor with Remax and I'm filling out the 'Other Employment Expenses'. Would her monthly fees go under or Expenses or Commission employee only expenses?

Realtors are usually considered to be "Self-Employed" and should be completing the Self-Employment section of their tax return. If she received a T4A, she would enter the amount from Box 20 or Box 48 in TurboTax and it will transfer over to the T2125 - Statement of Business or Professional Activities. If she did not receive a T4A, you enter the income she earned on the T2125 as Gross sales, commissions or fees.  Here you will claim all here expenses against that Self-Employed income.

Only if your wife was paid by ReMax as an "employee" and was issued a T4, would you claim these expenses as "Employment Expenses". She would also need the employer to complete and sign a T2200 - Declaration of Conditions of Employment form to claim Employment Expenses. 

hoagieh

Ok, she did receive a T4. I'm not sure on the T2200. Reading the information on CRA's website she could fit both cases.

Because she just started out and didn't really make much last year, she was running in the negative. I'm concerned because when I put the money in Employee Expenses she makes quite a bit more money then when I enter it in Self Employed section. Why would this be?

If she received a "T4" she likely has an amount in Box 42 of the that T4, and she is a "Commissioned Employee". Her expenses cannot exceed the income in that box.
hoagieh

I was wrong it was a T4A that she received with an amount in 20 - Self-employed commissions. So I guess that answers that, thanks. I guess this will benefit her once she starts making more money.

Can self-employed commission people, carry over losses to next year?