Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
axzhang88

I work and live in California, and will be filing joined tax w/ husband. But I am Canadian and sold CDN Stocks for student debt, how do I file for that?

US tax will be filed joint as married. But I am filing Canadian as single. Do I file both US and Canadian tax? Do I just report the CDN stocks?
1 Reply

I work and live in California, and will be filing joined tax w/ husband. But I am Canadian and sold CDN Stocks for student debt, how do I file for that?

If you are married, then you need to file as married in Canada, even if your spouse is not submitting a return. You can use 000000000 for your spouse's SIN number.

If you are non-resident of Canada, then you will only pay taxes on your Canadian income, but you will still need to enter information about your worldwide income to determine if you are eligible for certain credits.

THis is a Canadian forum, so we can't help you determine if you must also enter the stock sale on your US return.  For assistance with U.S. taxes and U.S. versions of TurboTax, please visit the website for TurboTax USA.