Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clee62

I work as a maintenance technician in BC becoming an electrician. I found US websites sell online study materials. Wondering if I can claim the expense towards my return.

2 Replies

I work as a maintenance technician in BC becoming an electrician. I found US websites sell online study materials. Wondering if I can claim the expense towards my return.

Textbooks and supply costs are not directly claimable. However, in some Provinces, there is an education and textbook amount that is intended to offset the cost of these items. If you live in a province that offers an education and/or textbook credit for the current tax year, TurboTax will automatically claim it for you when you enter your tuition amounts.

Provinces that offer an education and/or textbook credit:

• Alberta
  • Manitoba
  • Newfoundland & Labrador
  • Northwest Territories
  • Nunavut
  • Prince Edward Island

jj-harris

I live in Manitoba so provincially we fall under those rules.

Where do I enter my son's textbook amounts in turbo tax? What form etc. I understand it can only be used to bring down the tax that may be owed, and remainder can be carried to the following year or transferred to a parent. 

He required a laptop for school - is that eligible? What about Other expenses? (parking; bus pass, etc)

While I prefer to find out via this forum, if I have to call, who/where and # would a call 

thank you 

J