Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
munawar60

If I entered 2017 marriage date instead of 2016. Do I need to change my 2016 return as well? What is the implication if spouse is not Canadian nor & no Canadian income?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I entered 2017 marriage date instead of 2016. Do I need to change my 2016 return as well? What is the implication if spouse is not Canadian nor & no Canadian income?

It depends on when your actual change of marriage took place.  If your marital status didn't change until 2017, there is no need to change your 2016 return.

If your spouse is not Canadian and doesn't have any income, you would put the social insurance number as 000 000 000 and report the income as zero.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

It depends on when your actual change of marriage took place.  If your marital status didn't change until 2017, there is no need to change your 2016 return.

If your spouse is not Canadian and doesn't have any income, you would put the social insurance number as 000 000 000 and report the income as zero.