Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Alberta, solar panels on primary residence, net billing not MicroFIT(Ontario). If I was paid out credit is that income and can I then claim CCA of cost of system?

Can only find information about MicroFIT on the CRA and web so just wanting to clarify as I am sure any money coming in is income. For that income if during the peak production months I was paid out the credit I had for solar and then went on to have costs in the lower production months of the year is my total income the sum off the total credits received verse the costs of the electric bill. Once I have that value then am I able to claim CCA up to 50% of installation cost (is that cost the value before or after federal and municipal rebates) to offset the tax burden on the income generated from the excess solar production?
1 Reply

In Alberta, solar panels on primary residence, net billing not MicroFIT(Ontario). If I was paid out credit is that income and can I then claim CCA of cost of system?

You can only claim CCA on your solar panels if you claim the income as business income. However, claiming CCA on all or part of your principal residence may cause issues with the principal residence exemption when you sell your home.