Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
goldundug
Returning Member

Industry Code for online streamer, store and graphic designer?

Hi,

I'm confused which code to pick. My business currently sells books on Amazon, but in the upcoming year I'm planning to design more products to promote the brand, as well as stream on Twitch with the possibility of getting income from donations.

Since I am the one making all these products, I was thinking to use 541430 (graphic design services), but I wonder if 453220 (gift, novelty, souvenir store) or 519130 (Internet Publishing and Broadcasting and Web Search Portals... for Twitch streaming) would be more appropriate.

What do you think?

1 Reply

Industry Code for online streamer, store and graphic designer?

The code you should be using on your tax return is 454110. If you sell entirely online or by mail order. 

You are not doing any online streaming or graphic design this year- therefore you will only use the 454110 code.

Next year you will need to update the code to show what business you are actually doing. 

As per CRA, If your business/employment has more than one activity, use the code that most closely describes your main activity. For instance, if your main activity is online streaming then you must use code 519130 which is Internet Publishing and Web Search Portals. Whereas, if your main activity is a store and graphic design then you must use the code 541430 which is the category for graphic design services. I suggest you to check the CRA's list of industry codes for your business, and select one that closely resembles to your main activity.

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on  Facebook or  Twitter.