Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My employer pays me an extra $35 a paycheck which i pay tax on. i use my personal phone but i need unlimited minutes + data for work. Can i claim this as an expense?

I have read articles stating that i can only claim itemized parts of the bill but i chose to have a cell phone plan that gives unlimited minutes and texts as well as 5gb of data so there is no itemization to separate, especially on data and there are no additional charges each month.

Can i just claim the $35x24 at the end of the year and if i do, do i have to submit the pdf monthly bills as the receipt?

My company also pays $150 towards a phone upgrade every 2 years but that amount only covers a small portion of a phone upgrade nowadays so can i claim the remaining amount as a business expense?

1 Reply

My employer pays me an extra $35 a paycheck which i pay tax on. i use my personal phone but i need unlimited minutes + data for work. Can i claim this as an expense?

CRA is giving more attention to cellphone and landline costs.  Without an itemized statement that proves the business percentage, you are at risk of having the deduction disallowed.  When you upgrade the phone, there will be a personal portion as well as a business portion.  Again you may have to prove out the percentage of business.