Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tgmalino

My family is moving for work and planning ahead for tax deductions. I'm aware of the CRA website, but wondering about more detailed guidance. Anyone have suggestions?

My family and I are moving for a new job (~ 400km), from Alberta to BC. I understand that I can claim moving expenses on this year’s tax return, but am looking for further clarity on what is acceptable. We plan to hire a moving company and will be driving two vehicles ourselves, but may need to make multiple trips (all within a month of each other). We understand we can claim all the expenses for the moving company, mileage for our vehicles and meals (day of moving). I assume that cleaning costs prior to moving out will also be fine.

We would appreciate any guidance on the following topics:

1. We will need to complete a home inspection trip (prior to moving) in the new location. Would that trip (mileage/accommodations) also be eligible to claim? We might be actually able to haul/move a few items on this first trip to make it more legitimate.
2. If we have to make a final ‘clean/up’ and handover trip (back to our original Alberta residence), will the mileage and expenses for that trip be allowed?  
3. If we are renting in our current location, but buying a house in the new location, can we deduct legal fees for purchasing a new home?

Are there any items or services that would seem logical/fair to claim that will not be allowed by the CRA? Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
2 Replies

My family is moving for work and planning ahead for tax deductions. I'm aware of the CRA website, but wondering about more detailed guidance. Anyone have suggestions?

Thank you for your question. However please note that we do not go against anything that CRA advises on taxes as this is government and we abide by their rules. Please click here for more information about moving expenses. 

tgmalino

Thank you for the reply. I only want to claim what is allowed, but feel there isn't enough details on the website, which is why I am looking for more context from individuals with experience on this topic.