Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my mortgage interest amount I entered in the deduction field showing up in the Alternative Minimum Tax under "CCA and carry charges...etc"

12 Replies

Why is my mortgage interest amount I entered in the deduction field showing up in the Alternative Minimum Tax under "CCA and carry charges...etc"

Can you give us some more information, please? What is your mortgage interest being claimed for ~ business, rental, investments? Are you reporting a Capital Gain?

I was filling out my "Rental Summary".  Under the "Expenses" portion, I entered in my various expenses.  There is one field labelled "Interest"  I entered in my non personal portion of my mortgage interest expense.  This amount I entered in, I noticed it show up on when I was on the "Review:Warnings" section.  "You have claimed CCA or other carrying charges and deductions on your rental properties, which may have alternative minimum tax implications on the T691."  When click on "review button" and then "continue" to the "Rental and leasing Property" section, I see the same amount of my mortgage interest populated into the "capital cost allowance (CCA) and carrying charges claimed on rental and leasing property" field.

I didn't enter any amount into that field.  It was done by the software.

Alternative Minimum Tax is triggered in certain situations and TurboTax automatically performs the calculations based on the entries you make in the software. It can be best described as follows:

"The Alternative Minimum Tax is a separate tax calculation determined in parallel with an individual’s regular income tax calculations. The AMT takes out various tax preferential items that an individual may receive, which lowers his taxable income. The AMT was designed to ensure that high-income earners do not pay little-to-no tax but instead pay a minimum".

More information from CRA can be found here;

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...

Hi,

I'm in a similar situation where TurboTax has asked me to fill in the AMT upon review.

I do understand what capital cost allowance is. I would like to know what "carrying charges claimed on the rental property" may include. Is it only the interest paid for the mortgage? How about cost of repairs, property management, utilities and property taxes?

Thanks for your help!

gaoanqi
Returning Member

HI there, same questions here. Did you figure out who to deal with this situation?

gaoanqi
Returning Member

how** to 

Hi,

I never figured out why I was asked to fill out AMT.

There was no follow up from CCRA. It looks like it didn't apply to me.

gaoanqi
Returning Member

Thanks for your quick reply! So you did file for AMT? I was not sure if I should `Apply for me` or just `Ignore` that. Do you have any idea in which situation should I claim and which situation I should not? Thanks a lot!!