Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you a Canadian citizen or Permanent resident ? What should i say either yes or no? I am a Permanent Resident

3 Replies

Are you a Canadian citizen or Permanent resident ? What should i say either yes or no? I am a Permanent Resident

In Canada, your tax status is based not on your citizenship, but on your residency status. 

For more information please visit the links below:

For clarification and guidance, please contact the Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-959-8281.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

well that does not answer the question ... I too have the Permanent Residency (PR) card, I lived in Canada the whole year, and the only question is "Are you a Canadian citizen ?" ... so if we have the PR, and we worked and paid taxes in Canada same as a Canadian citizen, should we say "yes" or "no" to the "Are you a Canadian citizen" question ??

@samuel.drey Yes, you have a permanent residency card, but this is not the same as being a citizen. If you are eligible for citizenship, you must apply, and then pass the citizenship test. If you haven't passed the test, then you aren't a citizen.