Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I claim for printers laptops for work from home

2 Replies

Thank you for choosing TurboTax. Unfortunately, you won't be able to claim the printer for work from home expense but you can claim the ink cartridges and paper for the printer. Please Click Here to see a list of office expenses you can claim. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax. You can definitely claim printers and laptops under work from home expenses. If you are salaried, those expenses should be verified and approved by the employer. In case of self-employed you can claim the following expenses. If you use your laptop for business, you can deduct the expense. Rather than being a "usual" expense, laptops are considered to be capital costs. This simply means that instead of deducting the full cost, the expense is deducted over time - similar to your car.

Claim the cost of the laptop in the CCA (capital cost allowance) section of your return. Select 50 as the class.

As per CRA if you meet the eligibility to apply for work from home credits, you can claim the following expenses: 

Can be claimed

All salaried employees and commission employees can claim
  • electricity
  • heat
  • water
  • utilities portion (electricity, heat, and water) of your condominium fees 
  • home internet access fees
  • maintenance and minor repair costs 
  • rent paid for a house or apartment where you live
Commission employees can also claim
  • home insurance
  • property taxes
  • lease of a cell phone, computer, laptop, tablet, fax machine, etc. that reasonably relate to earning commission income

For further clarification please refer to our blog

You can also contact us or if you prefer you can reach us on social media through Facebook or Twitter.