Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corporation Sold Mutual Funds at a Loss. Where to Report it in GIFI and T2?

I am trying to complete GIFI on my corporate return and have a loss on disposal of mutual fund units. What code should I use?

5 Replies

Hi, thank you for using Intuit TurboTax Community

Dispositions can be recorded on s125 using GIFI Code 8210 or 8211. Schedule 6 of the T2 is used to report capital dispositions. If you have questions regarding your specific transactions call CRA at 1-800-959-5525

Hope this helps

Let me clarify this: if after completing t2sch6 the disposition yield is negative or a loss, it can't be used to offset business income, right? Then I can't put negative value on line 8210, or should I? Thanks

Hi, thank you for using Intuit TurboTax Community

A negative number can be entered on line 8210 of s125 and would represent a loss on the sale of an asset. A capital loss on schedule 6 would not offset other income on schedule 1. As per CRA rules, a capital loss can be carried back 3 years or carried forward. Check schedule 4 for the net capital loss details.

Hope this helps

First of all thanks TurboTax-Duncan for taking your time responding. Appreciate it very much!

I can't help but noticing you are trying to avoid answering my question 🙂 I guess I would agree numbers on line 8210 can be negative, I read about basic rules around capital loss, I did schedule 4 and 6. My question was if in my specific case the loss from selling mutual funds (FYI, I'm not trading them for living) should be reported on line 8210.  I know you said call CRA at [phone number removed] and I will, I'm just curious if there's something more to it and that's why you are not giving a simple answer 🙂

Hi, thank you using Intuit TurboTax Community

As I mentioned in my first response, you need to check with CRA regarding any specific tax scenario. What I supplied was information as general back ground and was not referencing your specific transaction. 

Sorry for the inconvenience but hope this helps