Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do employment expenses in the deductions summary show as $0.00 regardless of what employment expenses are entered? They have no effect on tax payable.

9 Replies

Why do employment expenses in the deductions summary show as $0.00 regardless of what employment expenses are entered? They have no effect on tax payable.

Due to Covid-19, there has been a transition to working from home for many Canadian's. We understand your concerns with regards to Employment Expense Deductions. We have created an employment expense guide that will walk you through- who, what, when, where, and how of claiming employment expenses, and are there to offer you support at every step of your way.

- Employment Expenses Tax Guide

Salaried and commissioned employees who worked from home (50% or more of the time for at least 4 consecutive weeks), due to COVID-19, are eligible to claim home office expenses on their 2020 tax return.

Check this to know- Am I eligible to claim employment expenses due to COVID-19?

Should you need any further assistance, we would be glad to guide you through the process. 

I am having the same problem. Enter the flat rate, $400 get transferred to line 22900 (employment expenses), but if I use what the CRA calculator tells me ($1197), the result is zero. Could it be a glitch in Turbo Tax?

I know I am eligible and I have claimed employment expenses using turbotax in the past without issue. This year, when I review the return before filing, it indicates I have no entered any employment expenses as deductions, even though I have.

I believe it is a Glitch. I have found several other uses complaining about this issue on reddit. Since there is no way to bring this issue to turbotax's attention without paying for it, I have no recourse but to post about it here. These posts indicate this issue has been brought to Intuit's attention previously and is not an issue with SimpleTax's free filing software. I will wait another day or two to see if intuit fixes it or I will have to either switch, or file the return without claiming employment expenses and filing a T1 adjustment  to claim them shortly thereafter. What a pain. 

Benjamin667
Returning Member

Same problem here.

I've been successfully entering my employment expenses for the last 3 years, but this year... no matter what numbers I put in it has ZERO EFFECT. The numbers I input are ignored.

In the review/summary section, it shows I didn't add employment expenses, but on the employment expenses page, it's all there. TurboTax just isn't calculating it.

I almost missed this and lost out on a few thousand dollars of potential refund. This is terribly annoying and upsetting. I will never use TurboTax again if this isn't fixed ASAP.

Benjamin667
Returning Member

I called customer service, and it turns out my employment expenses were not being calculated because I selected that I'd be claiming work from home expenses on the T4 slip page (at the bottom, it mentions covid-related expense, with a yes/no selector). This apparently only lets you claim expenses if you ALSO select T2200s.

If you have a T2200, then you have to select NO at the bottom of the T4 slip page.

All good now!

I was having the same issue and this fixed it!  Thanks for reaching out to them!

maricordia
Returning Member

I have same problem. I have enter amount on enter but not showing the calculated amount on summary. On the Employment Expenses Summary, I tried to edit or delete the line but it is showing No expense has been selected. Select which expense you want to delete. Since amount is not being calculated or summing up, it affects the tax refund. Thanks

maricordia
Returning Member

Thanks, I was able to figure it out.