Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sllirfon

Working from home due to Covid - No change in return when using detailed method but refund of ~$100 when flat rate selected. Why aren't detailed expenses being applied?

There's a substantial difference between the allowed max. $400 claim for the flat rate option vs. my actual expense claim permitted according to the calculator when using the detailed option. Is there  bug in the software that is preventing things from being applied?  Or what am I doing wrong?
5 Replies

Working from home due to Covid - No change in return when using detailed method but refund of ~$100 when flat rate selected. Why aren't detailed expenses being applied?

I am getting the same result.  Nothing gets entered into line 22900 when using the detailed method, but something does when using the simple method.  Did you get this resolved?

sllirfon

@dandsrobert  I gave up on the online version, deleted my return and I ended up paying for the whole program download and that calculated things correctly.  So that wasn't ideal!
I wonder though, did you click the "I used the calculator" option when you got to that point?  That's what I did in the online version and just input the appropriate numbers for the appropriate lines.  But when I used the full downloaded version of TurboTax, it didn't give that option - I had to enter all of the amounts (i.e. square footage of home, office, bills etc.) for it to make the calculation itself.  So I wonder whether it would work in the online version if you don't say you used the calculator and enter the amounts manually?  Maybe something to try if you haven't already. 
Either way, given that the online version has the calculator option available, it should be addressed by TurboTax.  I wonder how many people just assumed that they weren't getting anything extra back using the detailed option, or didn't notice that it didn't change the return amount and continued on and submitted their taxes?  I hope that the numbers at least are in their returns somewhere and that the error gets picked up by the CRA and returns are adjusted accordingly.  It's a pretty fatal flaw in the software in my opinion.

I called their customer support and got an answer.

I had imported the T4 amounts from CRA but what they don't tell you is that you have to in to the T4 slip, edit it and select the "YEs" i am claiming amounts for home expenses option.

Once I did that, the amount showed up on line 22900

LuiLuai

Your response  was not clear. I don't see an option to click YES for home expenses when you enter your T4 slip values.

LuiLuai

I'm referring to the 2022 software