Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim330

T4A causing TurboTax Netfile error

Hi,

I'm using TurboTax Standard desktop edition to complete my 19 year old daughter's taxes.

She did some tutoring in 2022 with a national Tutoring firm that assigned her school students to tutor online. She received a T4A for it with only Box 48 ("fees for service") filled in.  Her primary income last year has regular T4 slips. We don't consider her self employed.

With the T4A and box 48, TurboTax didn't ask for any other info besides the slip boxes (no other boxes were filled out in the slip) until the Netfile stage.  Then it said Netfile needed her to declare a fiscal year, an industry code, and a physical address.  I declared Jan 1 to Dec 31 for a fiscal year and used industry code 116900 ("All other schools and instruction".  I can see that TurboTax is filling out a T2125 which sounds reasonable.

But it will not accept our home address or any address (I've tried!) or a blank address.  I've made sure no special characters are in the address. It says:

Your business or rental address is missing information (i.e. number and street) or it has a character that can't be used. These include an ampersand (&) an asterisk (*), spaces after the entry or a period as a first or last character. All address fields must also begin and end with an alpha or numeric character. As well, your postal code must be valid and match your Province of residence.

I can see that TurboTax is filling out a T776.  Why would tutoring income need a T776 which is for rental income?  Any idea what is going wrong here?

Thank you,

Jim Jones

2 Replies

Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.

Jim330

Okay, thanks for the reply.