Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I input information related to day trading stocks which will end up on the T2125 as self employment?

I have seen much discussion on capital gains/losses but this is for day trading as self employment.  I have read that I need to enter the information as inventory but I see no place to do so in the Turbo Tax program.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Where do I input information related to day trading stocks which will end up on the T2125 as self employment?

When it asks, "Did you sell products that you bought or manufactured?", answer Yes to see the Inventory boxes. This page should show up just after the Income section.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

Hello Susan,

I am using TurboTax Online.

When it asks, "Did you sell products that you bought or manufactured?", answer Yes to see the Inventory boxes. This page should show up just after the Income section.

I just went through the Self Employment section again and I do not see that question asked anywhere.  I am trying to complete my 2022 taxes. 

When you first created the business, did you choose "Professional services" or "Business (Goods sold)". You will only see the Inventory section if you chose "Business (Goods sold)".

I am just trying again from the start and opted for the Business (goods sold) option.  I will go down this path, thanks.  Another question, when I am entering the "inventory" (stock shares) do I list every trade individually or just the yearly total in/out?

Just the totals. 

Sorry for all the questions, by totals do you mean total amount spent buying and selling all the different stocks or buying and selling of each individual company?  I traded many different stocks throughout the year. 

The total of whatever you buy & sell. You started the year with $xxx, you bought $xxx during the year, then you had $xxx at the end of the year. From that your cost of goods sold is calculated.