Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I have to enter car travel into the lowest return airfare in order for the program to calculate the northern deduction for travel benefits?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why do I have to enter car travel into the lowest return airfare in order for the program to calculate the northern deduction for travel benefits?

If you traveled via vehicle, you should not enter the car expenses in that spot. Enter the lowest return airfare for the destination. Enter the actual expense amount from traveling via vehicle in the spot marked "Travel Expenses".

CRA requires that information as the calculation for the allowable amount has to be the lesser of these three amounts:

• the taxable travel benefits you received from your employer for the trip;
  • the total travel expenses paid for the trip; or
  • the cost of the lowest return airfare available at the time of the trip between the airport closest to your residence and the nearest designated city.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns248-260/255/clc-eng.html

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you traveled via vehicle, you should not enter the car expenses in that spot. Enter the lowest return airfare for the destination. Enter the actual expense amount from traveling via vehicle in the spot marked "Travel Expenses".

CRA requires that information as the calculation for the allowable amount has to be the lesser of these three amounts:

• the taxable travel benefits you received from your employer for the trip;
  • the total travel expenses paid for the trip; or
  • the cost of the lowest return airfare available at the time of the trip between the airport closest to your residence and the nearest designated city.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns248-260/255/clc-eng.html