Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How? ...I have tips from my place of employment. Can I claim to increase my CPP contribution? if so how? My tips are reported on the same line as my T4 details in Intuit

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How? ...I have tips from my place of employment. Can I claim to increase my CPP contribution? if so how? My tips are reported on the same line as my T4 details in Intuit

Tips should be claimed as other employment income (Line 104) if not listed on your T4. To locate the spot in TurboTax to enter this income, use the Find button to search/select "Tips".

If you'd like to make additional CPP contributions on this income, the spot to do that is in the Income section.

1. Click the Find button in the upper right and search/select the option Electing to Pay Additional CPP/QPP contributions.
  2. From the Employment Status screen that appears, check the option I want to make optional CPP or QPP contributions and click Continue.
  3. If your tips are not listed on your T4, enter the amount of income you'd like to pay CPP on beside the last question on the page "Enter the amount of employment earnings not shown on a T4 slip on which you elect to pay additional CPP contributions."

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Tips should be claimed as other employment income (Line 104) if not listed on your T4. To locate the spot in TurboTax to enter this income, use the Find button to search/select "Tips".

If you'd like to make additional CPP contributions on this income, the spot to do that is in the Income section.

1. Click the Find button in the upper right and search/select the option Electing to Pay Additional CPP/QPP contributions.
  2. From the Employment Status screen that appears, check the option I want to make optional CPP or QPP contributions and click Continue.
  3. If your tips are not listed on your T4, enter the amount of income you'd like to pay CPP on beside the last question on the page "Enter the amount of employment earnings not shown on a T4 slip on which you elect to pay additional CPP contributions."

The first two steps were find. Step three makes no sense when you are looking at the page...therefore the answer was no help at all

Are you using TurboTax CD/download or TurboTax Online?

I am using the online version

Thank you. Could you give a bit more detail on what you're trying to report versus the info above please?

I would like to contribute the maximum to my CPP...but whether I put in $0 or $1000 for tips it appears to have zero effect...

On which line are your tips listed in the tax summary - 101 or 104?

I haven't submitted it, so it doesn't say...all the return shows me is work sheets, not the submission, until I submit...unless I'm missing something...the work sheet is a CPT 20 and all the income is on one line.
Hope that helps