Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michael-rasminsk
Returning Member

Can I find a work around for pension sharing between Federal and Quebec returns? On Fed return more advantageous to share wife -> husband. On Quebec return the opposite

More advantageous to share wife -> husband on fed return in order to reduce income below threshold for OAS clawback.   The program does not allow sharing in different directions for Fed and Quebec returns.
7 Replies

Can I find a work around for pension sharing between Federal and Quebec returns? On Fed return more advantageous to share wife -> husband. On Quebec return the opposite

Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

michael-rasminsk
Returning Member

Download.   

In Forms mode, you can go to the QDED worksheet of the person who is transferring pension federally and change the amount shown on the line "Deduction for retirement income transferred to your spouse on December 31st - line 245" to zero. Then you can go to the QDED of the spouse who is transferring pension in Quebec, and override (F2) the green amount to whatever it needs to be.

michael-rasminsk
Returning Member

Unfortunately this does not work.  After setting the Federal return to optimize by transferring some pension income from my wife to me and setting the Quebec transfer to 0 in the optimization program,  I then go as suggested to my QDED as suggested and attempt to override the amount to be transferred using the F2 override function.  The program responds with a message that this amount cannot be overridden.

It appears to me that the solution may be to prepare two versions of the tax returns, one for the Feds and one for Quebec.  

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When asked if you wish to receive an email say NO then say "speak to a representative" then hold the line.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

michael-rasminsk
Returning Member

I have contacted the telephone support team as suggested and had a long session with a screen share with an agent who clearly had a great deal of trouble coming to grips with the problem that I have identified - almost surely a programming fault.   To reiterate:  the problem is that the program cannot deal with the unusual situation where it is advantageous to have  pension sharing in one direction from one spouse to another on the Federal return and in the other direction on the Quebec return.   The suggested attempted overrides do not work.  

I would like to be able to present this programming fault to someone who can actually come to grips with it but the telephone support has been unhelpful in giving me any information about how to do this.

A callback has been requested. Expect a call within 24-72 hours.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.