Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ph6

Can I manually change the unused federal tuition amount that is automatically applied by the TurboTax software?

My nephew has ~$10,000 in unused federal tuition and education amount carried over from 2015. He started working full time in 2016. Without using the tuition carry over, he already has a $300 tax return (as his income was less than $20,000 in 2016). However, the TurboTax software is automatically applying ~$5,000 this year and carrying over the rest. Is there a way I can manually change this so that I can carry over the full $10,000 amount to apply in future years when his income is higher?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I manually change the unused federal tuition amount that is automatically applied by the TurboTax software?

You cannot pick and choose whether or not to claim unused tuition amounts or the year you want to apply them to. They must be used in the first available year that you have income and to to the extent to reduce your taxes to zero.   If there is still a portion to carry forward it will be applied to the next year where you have income etc.  

View solution in original post

5 Replies

You cannot pick and choose whether or not to claim unused tuition amounts or the year you want to apply them to. They must be used in the first available year that you have income and to to the extent to reduce your taxes to zero.   If there is still a portion to carry forward it will be applied to the next year where you have income etc.  

ph6

Thank you!

Turbotax is automatically using all unused/carry forward amounts resulting in over a $3000.00 return. I am not able to keep carrying forward some of these amounts? Yet lasts year it wouldn't apply them and had the pay $146 dollars

Turbotax is automatically using all unused/carry forward amounts resulting in over a $3000.00 return. Am I not able to keep carrying forward some of these amounts? Yet last year it wouldn't apply them and had to pay $146 dollars

TurboTax should have automatically used the amount necessary so that your return would be at zero. 

Please complete this form if you feel it was a TurboTax error. 

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/after-you-file-questions/help/how-do-i-submit-a-claim...