Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I claim books and education expenses as a part-time student? I selected I had these expenses but it did not prompt me to enter any receipts only my tuition.

2 Replies

How do I claim books and education expenses as a part-time student? I selected I had these expenses but it did not prompt me to enter any receipts only my tuition.

Unfortunately, the Federal government eliminated their education and textbook tax credits some a few years ago. Most provinces/territories have eliminated their textbook credits and many no longer have an education credit. If you don't see the option to claim these credits, then it's likely you live in a province that doesn't have them.

Thank you. I did see that it was removed around 2016 or 2017 but what about Statement 11?

"Fill out Schedule 11 to report your eligible tuition amount for 2020, and any unused tuition, education and textbook amount carried forward from years prior that are shown on your notice of assessment or notice of reassessment for the previous year".

Is this something that I should be doing to claim textbooks?