Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you opt out of paying CPP? I am over 65 and receiving a CPP pension

3 Replies

Thanks for your question. The procedure is different if you are self-employed, an employee, or both. If you are an employee, who earned employment income in a province or territory other than Quebec, you can elect to stop contributing to the CPP by completing Form CPT30, Election to Stop Contributing to the Canada Pension Plan, or Revocation of a Prior Elect.... Give a copy of Form CPT30 to all your employers, and send the original to the Canada Revenue Agency.

The election takes effect on the first day of the month following the date you give a copy of the completed Form CPT30 to your employer. For example, if you give Form CPT30 to your employer in June 2021, the election will take effect on July 1, 2021. Please click here for more information. 

Follow the instructions below.

To make the election or enter the details of a previous election to stop paying CPP on your Self-Employed earnings using TurboTax Online or in the EasyStep view, go to Income > T-Slips > T4A(P) Canada Pension Plan Benefits.

On the T4A(P) - Summary screen, you can enter your information about previous elections or choose to stop contributing to CPP on your self-employment earnings. You must say "Yes" to the question - "Did you elect to stop contributing to CPP on your self-employment earnings in a year prior to 2020 or earlier?"

I appreciate the reply to my question of opting out of CPP , but unfortunately it does not help me.  My issue is not related to employment or self employment income.   On one of my T5013s,  the income was characterized as "business income".  Apparently the Turbo software treats this as CPPable earnings, so CPP  was deducted.  The proper solution is to file a schedule 8 form BUT my version of Turbo Tax does not give access to that form!!!  I have a Mac computer.  If I had purchased the version used on non Apple computers where you upload from a CD then I would have had access to the form.  Turbo people -  FIX THIS PLEASE!!!!

jmeintz

I'm over 65 and receiving a CPP pension. Last year I did not pay CPP on my self-employment income.   In 2021 I received a small amount of employment income, so wasn't concerned about making CPP contributions on it, but do not want to contribute on my self employment income.

I followed the instructions on the T4 P screen, indicating that I have not elected to stop contributing to CPP on my employment income, but have previously elected to stop contributing to CPP on my self-employment earnings. This is the error message I continue to get. 

You have chosen to stop contributing to the Canada Pension Plan on your self-employment earnings; but have not made an election on your employment earnings during the year. You must have made an election on your employment earnings at some point in the year to be able to elect to stop contributing to CPP on your self-employment earnings.

I want to netfile, but can't get rid of the error message unless I agree to pay the extra $300 to CPP. 

Please help