Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to correctly input data for LIRA to LIF conversion and one-time unlocking transfer to RRSP

@SteveS2 

Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.

Crewster

How to correctly input data for LIRA to LIF conversion and one-time unlocking transfer to RRSP

I made a 50% transfer from a LIF to my RRSP in the first 60 days of 2024.  I received a RRSP contribution statement for the first 60 days, but I will not receive a T4RIF as this is 2024 income.  There should be no tax impact from this transfer, but as I see it the CRA will want me to claim the RRSP contribution in 2023 and I will be over my contribution limit, with no offsetting income charged.  Please let me know what to do.

@Crewster Have you confirmed with the CRA that they want you to claim the LIF to RRSP transfer in 2023?

If you are in Canada or the United States, you can call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281. If you are elsewhere, you can call 613-940-8495. This page has more ways to contact the CRA: Contact the Canada Revenue Agency

Crewster

Put another way, I first moved my LIRA to a LIF. Then I transferred 50% to my RRSP. All of this happened in the first 60 days of 2024. For the 2023 tax year the only form I got was a contribution to my RRSP for the 50% transfer.  I will get my other tax form next year on a T4RIF. 
So for 2023 do I just forward it to next year and do I state it is an eligible transfer in the first 60 days?  I do not want this to have any impact monetarily and with my contribution room. 
please help

SteveS2

I did exactly this right before the end of 2023, so my T4RIF and RRSP slips were applicable to the 2023 tax year.  I believe it's important to use them both in the same year since:

1. You need the RRSP deduction on line 20800 to cancel out the Pension income to be declared on line 11500 from your 2024 T4RIF, otherwise you will be paying tax on the transfer amount in 2024.

2. You also have to declare the transfer on line 5 of the Pension Income Worksheet to cancel out the Pension income amount on line 1 of the same worksheet (from line 11500 of the tax form).  This is to ensure the transfer amount does not contribute to the $2000 Pension Income Deduction.

3. For the RRSP part, you also have to indicate this is a transfer which will not impact your contribution room.  This is accompished by entering the RRSP deduction amount in both the appropriate Contribution box and also into the Designated Transfer of eligible income amount box of the RRSP T-Slip entry form.

Using the steps above I was able to submit my 2023 taxes and they were accepted and reviewed with no issues.  I have received my notice of assessment and all is correct.

Regarding your main question, as far as I know it is your option whether you declare an RRSP deduction in the first 60 days as applicable to the current or previous tax year.  The convention is to use the previous year (as per the TurboTax form labels), but I don't think it is mandatory.  In your case I believe you would likely want to declare this special LIF to RRSP transfer deduction in 2024 (using the March-December contribution box of the 2024 tax forms).  I am not a tax accountant, so please check my advice with a professional, or call the CRA to confirm.

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) the information slips you receive for 2023 are to be claimed on your 2023 tax return. If you believe your financial institution has made an error please contact them to make the change/correction as the information slips have already been entered in your file at the CRA.

When your LIRA is converted to a LIF, you should have two tax slips - a T4RSP or a T4RIF showing a withdrawal amount, then a corresponding "Contribution Slip" (or receipt) showing the direct transfer which is exempt due to subparagraph 60(l)(v). Both these slips need to be reported on the tax return.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Crewster

Ginette,

The issue is timing, not that the issuer made an error. Because I did the transfer in the first 60 days of 2024 I got a RRSP contribution statement. I will not receive a T4RIF because it happened in 2024. I just want to confirm that I should defer my RRSP contribution to the 2024 tax return so that I can match up these slips. Also by deferring I want to make sure it does not change my RRSP contribution room. I hope this is clear now. 

If your RRSP contribution was made in the first 60 days of 2024 you can deduct the amount in 2024 but the contribution has to be included in the 2023 return and will affect your 2023 RRSP contribution limit.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.