Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to designate my RRSP contribution to repay Home buyers plan?

7 Replies

This TurboTax FAQ tells you how to enter Home Buyers' Plan repayment information in TurboTax: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/turbotax-support/en-ca/help-article/manage-users/enter-home-buy...

Miss_BG

What work around do users of TurboTax need to follow in order to claim unused RRSP contributions from previous years towards their HBP credit? Many other software websites have a workaround, except Turbo Tax (that I can find).

Thank you.

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) past year RRSP contributions are not eligible to be used to repay your HBP.

Repaying the amount you withdrew

To make a repayment under the HBP, you have to make contributions to your RRSPs, PRPPs, or SPP in the year the repayment is due or in the first 60 days of the year after. Once your contributions are made, you can designate all or part of the contributions as a repayment.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Miss_BG

What about amounts contributed in the first 60 days of 2023? These are the amounts I am referring to, which were previously not used for HBP.

To repay your HBP due in the 2023 taxation year, you can use RRSP contributions made in the first 60 days of 2024. For steps, please see our TurboTax FAQ How do I enter my Home Buyers' Plan repayment information in TurboTax?

Miss_BG

Hi Ginette, 

There appears to be some confusion. I have RRSP amounts which were contributed in the first 60 days of 2023 which were carried forward when my 2022 taxes were completed and which I would like to apply to my HBP this year. How does turbo tax allow the recognition of this so that amount can be used towards the 2023 HBP repayment for this 2023 tax year. 

As per the CRA: To make a repayment under the HBP, you have to make contributions to your RRSPs, PRPPs, or SPP in the year the repayment is due or in the first 60 days of the year after. Once your contributions are made, you can designate all or part of the contributions as a repayment.

To designate your repayment, fill out Schedule 7, RRSP, PRPP, SPP Contributions and Transfers, and HBP and LLP Activities enter the amount of the repayment on line 24600, and attach it to your income tax and benefit return.