Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to I declare my retirement allowance in my RRSP contributions?

Hi,

In June 2019, I received a retirement allowance.  It was composed of a portion as ineligible transfer PLUS another portion as eligible transfer.  When I received my T4, it included my income in box 14 correctly (without the retirement allowance), the ineligible transfer portion in box 67 and the eligible transfer portion in box 66.  That all seems correct.

The total amount of my retirement allowance was transferred to my RRSP since I had enough room for the ineligible portion of the allowance.   My bank only gave me a receipt for the ineligible portion.  I was expecting another receipt for my eligible transfer as well. 

Filling out the boxes in TurboTax, how do I declare my RRSP contributions?  Do I declare the full amount of my retirement allowance as contributions (even if I only have a bank receipt for the ineligible portion), then put the eligible transfer portion in the Designated transfer box?  Should my bank give me a contribution receipt for the eligible transfer portion since it is a contribution?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Jeffuuright
Employee Tax Expert

A receipt for the eligible portion is required. Ask your bank for the receipt. If you are signed up for My Account with CRA, you can also look for RRSP contribution receipts listed at “Tax information slips (T4 and more)” under Related Services.  CRA My Account only displays the slips CRA has received and processed. For missing or incorrect slips, you must contact the issuer of the slip.

Once your missing RRSP contribution receipt is resolved, it is correct to report the eligible portion as a designated transfer and then declare the full amount of the retirement allowance (deposited to your RRSP) as contributions.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Jeffuuright
Employee Tax Expert

A receipt for the eligible portion is required. Ask your bank for the receipt. If you are signed up for My Account with CRA, you can also look for RRSP contribution receipts listed at “Tax information slips (T4 and more)” under Related Services.  CRA My Account only displays the slips CRA has received and processed. For missing or incorrect slips, you must contact the issuer of the slip.

Once your missing RRSP contribution receipt is resolved, it is correct to report the eligible portion as a designated transfer and then declare the full amount of the retirement allowance (deposited to your RRSP) as contributions.