Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't remove the canada workers benefit from my return, even though I'm not eligible.

8 Replies

I can't remove the canada workers benefit from my return, even though I'm not eligible.

This amount is calculated based on 2 things:

• Working Income
  • Your adjusted family net income

To review and confirm or remove your CWB claim (Line 45300):

1. Select X in the upper-right corner to close the Help window.
  2. In the upper-right corner of your screen, select Find.
  3. In the Find window, type Canada Workers Benefit.
  4. Select Canada Workers Benefit from the list, and select Go.

Also please take note: Even if you select Yes to claim the CWB, TurboTax will not calculate this benefit if you are not eligible for it. Therefore you must have entered an amount somewhere to allow it to calculate.  Please do a full review of your tax return to determine where the error was made. 

Footnote: We at TurboTax want to encourage you and your close family to take all necessary precautions to ensure your safety. Please review the articles provided below for more information during these difficult times: 

Di73

Actually everyone, change your view to 'Forms', search for Canada Workers Benefit' and change the box checked yes to No.  That fixes it.  Then change the view back to Easy Steps.  It must be a glitch, as my son is a student who had some income, and TurboTax automatically ticked that box Yes for him.  Not something I did.

This is definitely not easy to fix. I was getting a CWB refund despite being married and spouse income too high. All profile info is correct. THE FIX: in easy step, click on the 'find' icon along top bar. From the list find Canada workers benefit or schedule 6.  It doesn't ask if you want to claim it. It shows that I can get a great refund. Only asks WHO you want to claim it. So I changed from my to my husbands name.  Bingo!! It calculated zero with his income and brought our refund down to where it belongs.

This worked for our situation - I know there are different ones. Hope this helps some.

Turbo Tax - you need to work this glitch out.

Kamferr
Returning Member

Still a glitch on 2021 tax software.  Decreases my return by a significant amount when not eligible.  I'm going to try some of these suggestions.  Makes me wonder if anyone from turbo tax has been looking at these comments to figure out the glitch?  (Is there anyway to notify them without paying for a live agent service?)

Same issue is happening with our filing of 2022 taxes.  Our family income is too high and we don’t qualify but it is making one of us claim, which reduces our refund significantly.  I try to override in Schedule 6 but it doesn’t allow me to properly select “yes/no” boxes.  Any fix solutions??

@Gmgariepy If the suggestions in the posts above don't work for you, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.

Sandra D

Something needs to be done with this glitch. I start out with one number, get a warning, add the info and then it goes down $2k!? When I try to change it to "NO" to not claim, nothing happens. The form says "do you want to claim the CWB" but doesn't provide an option to say "no, I don't want to claim it". Instead it asks you who will claim it and then if you leave it blank, it automatically picks someone???? Come TurboTax, this isn't right. This program is supposed to be easy.

mhambly1465
Returning Member

Exactly the same for 2023 returns. How many people are being duped by this? I can't turn off the claim, either through "Easy Step" (there's a misnomer if ever there was one) and Forms i.e., Schedule 6. Turn off claim for one spouse, the claim automatically goes to the other, and vice-versa. $16,00 down by "claiming" CWB. How is that even possible? Refund should increase if eligible or, stay the same if not. Back to U-File I think.