Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I live in BC. My son had a tuition $3000. Both in his Schedule 11 and the Schedule BC(S11), it said he can transfer $3000 to me. TT said I can use $6000. Is that right?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I live in BC. My son had a tuition $3000. Both in his Schedule 11 and the Schedule BC(S11), it said he can transfer $3000 to me. TT said I can use $6000. Is that right?

I phoned again, and this new Support Person said (after checking with somebody) that I am allowed to use that amount for both Federal and Provincial - so basically, double. The first Support Person had told me that that should not be the case and that I should wait for the Notice of Assessment...

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

TurboTax CD. Everything is up-to-date.

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) You may transfer a maximum of $5,000 of the current year's federal tuition amount, and where available, the applicable maximum for provincial and territorial tuition, education, and textbook amounts, minus the amount you used to reduce your tax owing as calculated on Schedule 11. 

As per the BC(S11) - British Columbia Tuition and Education Amounts You can transfer all or part of your unused provincial tuition amount available for transfer to your spouse or common-law partner, your parent or grandparent, or your spouse's or common-law partner's parent or grandparent.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

So does this mean there's a bug in the Turbo Tax where it's allowing me to use $3000 in both Federal and BC? Basically, TurboTax ended up transferring $6000 even though my son had only $3000 in tuition.

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When asked if you wish to receive an email say NO then say "speak to a representative" then hold the line.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I spoke with the Turbo Tax support, and she said not to rely on the Federal and Provincial amount that Turbo Tax automatically generated from my son's Turbo Tax file. Apparently, I need to wait for my son's Notice of Assessment to come first. If that's really the case, TurboTax should provide that warning.

Thank you for the feedback. The Notice of Assessment will inform you of changes or claims accepted. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I just checked my other kids' prior Notice of Assessments, and there's no mention of any amount I'm supposed to use for Transfer of Tuition... Time to phone again.

I phoned again, and this new Support Person said (after checking with somebody) that I am allowed to use that amount for both Federal and Provincial - so basically, double. The first Support Person had told me that that should not be the case and that I should wait for the Notice of Assessment...