Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I live in cooperative housing am I still eligible for renters tax credit?

what are the parameters/criteria to be eligible or not eligible?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes, a co-op housing qualifies if you pay rent for the unit. 

A rental unit in the following types of accommodations may be considered an eligible rental unit if the unit is rented and rent was paid for that rental unit: 

• Co-operative housing
  • During the year:
    • You occupied an eligible rental unit in B.C. under a tenancy agreement, licence, sublease agreement or similar arrangement
    • You occupied an eligible rental unit in B.C. for at least 6 one-month periods. You may occupy different eligible rental units during the year, for a total of at least 6 one-month periods. Any occupancy period of less than one month does not count as a one-month period
    • Rent was paid for that rental unit
  • On December 31 of the tax year, you were a resident of B.C. and you were:
    • 19 years of age or older, or
    • A parent, or
    • Cohabiting with a spouse or common-law partner

Note: Eligible tenants who rent and occupy an eligible rental unit under a rental or tenancy agreement together but are not married or in a common-law relationship with each other (roommates) may each claim their own renter's tax credit if all other criteria are met. 

You cannot claim the renter’s tax credit if you:

• Are the cohabitating spouse or common-law partner of a renter who has already claimed the credit for the tax year
  • Were confined to a prison or similar institution on December 31 of the tax year and were confined for periods totalling more than 6 months during the year
  • Were an employee of a foreign government or resided with a family member or a servant of the employee of a foreign government in Canada (for example, diplomats and their household members)
  • Die before the end of the year

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

What province are you in?

BC

Yes, a co-op housing qualifies if you pay rent for the unit. 

A rental unit in the following types of accommodations may be considered an eligible rental unit if the unit is rented and rent was paid for that rental unit: 

• Co-operative housing
  • During the year:
    • You occupied an eligible rental unit in B.C. under a tenancy agreement, licence, sublease agreement or similar arrangement
    • You occupied an eligible rental unit in B.C. for at least 6 one-month periods. You may occupy different eligible rental units during the year, for a total of at least 6 one-month periods. Any occupancy period of less than one month does not count as a one-month period
    • Rent was paid for that rental unit
  • On December 31 of the tax year, you were a resident of B.C. and you were:
    • 19 years of age or older, or
    • A parent, or
    • Cohabiting with a spouse or common-law partner

Note: Eligible tenants who rent and occupy an eligible rental unit under a rental or tenancy agreement together but are not married or in a common-law relationship with each other (roommates) may each claim their own renter's tax credit if all other criteria are met. 

You cannot claim the renter’s tax credit if you:

• Are the cohabitating spouse or common-law partner of a renter who has already claimed the credit for the tax year
  • Were confined to a prison or similar institution on December 31 of the tax year and were confined for periods totalling more than 6 months during the year
  • Were an employee of a foreign government or resided with a family member or a servant of the employee of a foreign government in Canada (for example, diplomats and their household members)
  • Die before the end of the year

J5729

I do not think you are IF you paid shares when you moved into the Co-op!  On the BC Govt. website is says that makes you ineligible!  I would love to hear your explanation (Turbotax) as it is right there:

• Co-operative housing

Note: Individuals are not eligible for the credit if they own the housing unit they occupy. This includes direct or indirect ownership through owning shares of the capital stock of a co-operative housing corporation, or through any other method. 

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/taxes/income-taxes/personal/credits/renters-tax-credit

Thank you for that update @J5729. It will be important in the future to question whether @dragonfly_009 or someone owns shares or not as not all renters in co-operatives own shares. We appreciate the additional information to share with our customers.

J5729

So if I understand your response, you are saying I am correct!  If you pay shares you are ineligible?

J5729

Also, it is very clearly stated on the website under the title Co-operatives.  Although in many Co-ops you pay a very small fee & it just gives you a voice in running the place.  You really are not owners, so it is kinda unfair that we are ineligible!  But, we don’t get to make the rules!

Yes, that is what the link from the British Columbia indicates yes.

Unfortunately, you are correct. We do not make those decisions or rules.