Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to transfer unused tuition credit to my parent. I indicated as such in my return. Do I need to also submit a Schedule 11? What documentation does my parent need?

I didn't see any opportunity to fill out a schedule 11 in turbotax and I see that there isn't one included in the pdf version of my submitted return. I'm wanting to be able to give something to my parent for his accountant, and I want to be sure that I did what I needed on my end
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I want to transfer unused tuition credit to my parent. I indicated as such in my return. Do I need to also submit a Schedule 11? What documentation does my parent need?

In order to transfer your unused tuition credits to someone else, you'll first need to inform them of the precise amount(s) so that they can claim them on their own tax return. The first step is to enter your income information into TurboTax, then claim your tuition fees. TurboTax will then automatically calculate the maximum amount of credits you may transfer to another party.

Refer to the following steps for instructions on how to transfer your unused tuition credits in TurboTax: How do I transfer my unused tuition credits to someone else?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I see now that TurboTax had attached and automatically filled out a Schedule 11 for me in my tax return. 

Now... there is a box about transferring to a parent on the back of the T2202s (image attached). Can I just fill out that box and send that page to my parent or do I need to also send my Schedule 11 to my parent for their return? Screenshot 2023-03-06 at 9.18.53 PM.png

In order to transfer your unused tuition credits to someone else, you'll first need to inform them of the precise amount(s) so that they can claim them on their own tax return. The first step is to enter your income information into TurboTax, then claim your tuition fees. TurboTax will then automatically calculate the maximum amount of credits you may transfer to another party.

Refer to the following steps for instructions on how to transfer your unused tuition credits in TurboTax: How do I transfer my unused tuition credits to someone else?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.