Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jomarylin

Rrsp to do with new homeowner

I keep getting a "Fix" message when I try to finalize my taxes.   It says my pension amount is greater than $2000 or greater than the amount of qualifying pension"   I go to fix and get a page that has to do with homeowners plan and Life long Learning plan.   I only wanted to enter my T4RSP and I have nothing to do with these two plans.   Is there a glitch in the Turbo tax or what is happening.  Help me anyone! 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you have joined spousal returns, and have used the pension splitting optimizer, it will throw this error if the software is double-dipping.  Sometimes it will split income that is eligible for the $2,000 pension amount and then pension split for more than the remainder of the pension.  When you end up with $4,200 each on a $5,000 pension, you get that error.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

If you have joined spousal returns, and have used the pension splitting optimizer, it will throw this error if the software is double-dipping.  Sometimes it will split income that is eligible for the $2,000 pension amount and then pension split for more than the remainder of the pension.  When you end up with $4,200 each on a $5,000 pension, you get that error.

jomarylin

how do I change this???
sarlindo

Well is this a software bug then? If so, how is this corrected when filling the taxes using turbo tax?
sarlindo

oh by the way I am also running into this issue that jomarylin has reported.
jomarylin

I think it may be a software issue too.  Never had trouble in previous years
sarlindo

fyi...i was able to get on the phone with turbotax support and they are now escalating this to the development team as this could actually be a software bug.
jomarylin

thank you!   I just spoke with them too so hopefully they can get it fixed

The issue has been escalated to the development team. We'll provide an update when more information is available.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

P.S: We'll be updating the following thread with updates:

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/questions/1108935-your-claim-for-pension-income-is-great-than-2...

Check  your software updates waiting to be effected. You will probably find an update to Turbotax which needs to be run