Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My spouse and I didn't use the Home Buyer credit but on the Other Credits section of T1 it lists amount claimed by another individual as $5000. I don't know why??

I've made sure we said no to the first time home buyer section and that we haven't selected any need to make a Home Buyer or Learning Plan repayment.  The T1 shows that we haven't taken the credit (it's zeroed out) but can't find out why it is showing as "amount claimed by another individual" for $5K on each of our returns.
4 Replies
ihatetaxes11
Returning Member

My spouse and I didn't use the Home Buyer credit but on the Other Credits section of T1 it lists amount claimed by another individual as $5000. I don't know why??

The same thing is showing up on my tax return (and my spouse's). I'm wondering what's going on here too. Is this some kind of glitch/error?

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact us please follow this link: Contact Us form. 

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I did contact the telephone help line.  Together using the screen share we walked through almost all of the return with special focus on the Credits and RRSP sections.  Despite checking and re-checking many of the items to verify that neither of us claimed the credit or noted a home buyer repayment requirement the item was not changed.  No matter what changes were made it continued to show the Amount Claimed by Another Individual in the Other Credits section.

It's not coming from the Home Buyers’ Plan (HBP), rather it's from the First-Time Home Buyers' Tax Credit.

Please do the following:

1. Select Find (or the magnifying glass icon) from the top right
  2. In the Find window, type in first and then choose “First-Time Home Buyers' Tax Amount” from the list. Then click “Go”.
  3. On the “First-Time Home Buyers' Tax Credit” page, answer NO so that you don’t take the credit. But in the box underneath enter 5000.
  4. Click “Continue” to save your changes.
  5. Select File, then Print Your Return from the bottom of the left side menu and download a new copy of your PDF. The 5000 should be gone.