Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
klcmedia

My spouse is receiving social security disability payments, how do I pay any tax owing? She also receives CPP disability.

1 Reply

My spouse is receiving social security disability payments, how do I pay any tax owing? She also receives CPP disability.

You'll first need to clarify which type of Disability Payments your spouse is receiving prior to entering the information in TurboTax.

• If your spouse is receiving Social Assistance Disabilty Payments, a T5007 tax slip will be issued by the Provincial Govt. Enter this slip in the income section on the T5007 screen.
  • If your spouse is receiving Social Security Disability Payments from the U.S., a tax slip may or may not be issued. Either way you will this income as Foreign Income on the Foreign Income screen.

For the CPP Disability Benefits, your spouse will receive a T4A(P) tax slip. Enter this slip on the T4A(P) screen and be sure to make the entries in the correct boxes on the screen. (CPP Disability Benefits are entered in Boxes 16, and the number of months in Box 22).

Turbotax will do all the calculations for you, and if there is an amount owing for taxes, you will be billed on the Notice Of Assessment (NOA) you receive after filing. The following link explains how to pay your Balance Due to CRA:

How do I pay my tax balance due?