Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am a joint account holder on an investment account and have been issued a T5 slip. But none of the income on the T5 was received by me. How should I report this?

1 Reply

I am a joint account holder on an investment account and have been issued a T5 slip. But none of the income on the T5 was received by me. How should I report this?

Instructions for the TurboTax online edition

If you have a T5

1.    Select Find (or the magnifying glass icon) from the TurboTax menu.

2.    Enter T5 in the Find window.

3.    Select T5 Investment Income from the list of results, and then select Go.

The T5 - Summary step appears.

4.    Select Enter New T5.

The T5 - Investment Income step appears.

5.    Fill out the form in TurboTax with the information from your slip.

Note: If the slip is for a joint investment with your spouse/partner, enter the portion of the gain that your spouse is claiming where it says Enter percentage of slip to claim on your spouse’s tax return (if applicable).

If you’re preparing your return together with your spouse/partner’s return: Don’t enter this same slip on your spouse/partner’s return; TurboTax automatically calculates each spouse/partner’s portion based on the percentage you enter.

If you’re preparing your return separately from your spouse/partner’s return: Based on the percentage you enter, TurboTax automatically calculates your portion and claims it on your return.

6.    Select Done With T5.

The T5 - Summary step appears.

7.    Review the information on screen and follow the instructions below that match your situation:

• If the information is correct, select Done With T5s.
  • If the information isn’t correct, select Edit next to the slip and correct the information. When you return to this step, select Done With T5s.
  • If you have more T5 slips to enter, select Enter New T5. When you return to this step, select Done With T5s.

For more information, please visit How do I enter a T5 slip (and matching Relevé 3, if applicable)?

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team for further assistance or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.