Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does this sytem think I am self-employed? I'm retired fully and so is my wife. What do I have to do to get rid of the self-employed and work related expense?

Thank you for your feedback, we value your opinion and will share this information with the proper TurboTax team.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Why does this sytem think I am self-employed? I'm retired fully and so is my wife. What do I have to do to get rid of the self-employed and work related expense?

Hi There,

I don't know if you solved the problem but I was having the same issue and was able to resolve it. It took about 3 or 4 reviews of my entries until I noticed my error. One that would be easily overlooked. When entering the amount on box 28 for the T4A, I noticed there are two (2) Box 28s. I accidentally entered the amount into the wrong Box 28. This entry error triggered the warning that stated I had self-employment income. Once I entered the value into the other Box 28, the warning during the review was removed.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your helpful update. We appreciate it.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.