Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It keeps putting my husband's T5007 information under my income... I can't seem to move it. ..Please help

Please help. I entered my T4 information (I'm the primary filer) and tried to enter my husbands T5007 information and it keeps reporting it as my information. I can't see where I made a mistake. How do I fix this?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

It keeps putting my husband's T5007 information under my income... I can't seem to move it. ..Please help

TurboTax is probably working as designed. The amounts from Box 145 often end up on the other spouse's return

From the CRA site regarding Social Assistance payments:

"However if you lived with your spouse or common-law partner when the payments were received, the one of you who has the higher net income on Line 236 – Net income (not including these payments or the deductions on Line 214 – Child care expenses or Line 235 – Social benefits repayment) has to report all of the payments, no matter whose name is on the slip."

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/rprtng-ncm/lns101-170/145-eng.html

View solution in original post

4 Replies

TurboTax is probably working as designed. The amounts from Box 145 often end up on the other spouse's return

From the CRA site regarding Social Assistance payments:

"However if you lived with your spouse or common-law partner when the payments were received, the one of you who has the higher net income on Line 236 – Net income (not including these payments or the deductions on Line 214 – Child care expenses or Line 235 – Social benefits repayment) has to report all of the payments, no matter whose name is on the slip."

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/rprtng-ncm/lns101-170/145-eng.html

Social Assistance payments are not taxable income.  So whether the income is reported on your return or your husband's return won't affect the taxable income...however, by reducing your husband's income by the amount shown on the T5007, you are increasing your spousal credit that you can claim for your husband.  While Social Assistance is not included in taxable income, it is included in net income, and the spousal credit is reduced by the net income of the spouse.  This is actually one of those rules for preparing taxes that benefits the taxpayer, as it increases the credits and decreases the taxes owed.

Social Assistance payments are not taxable income.  So whether the income is reported on your return or your husband's return won't affect the taxable income...however, by reducing your husband's income by the amount shown on the T5007, you are increasing your spousal credit that you can claim for your husband.  While Social Assistance is not included in taxable income, it is included in net income, and the spousal credit is reduced by the net income of the spouse.  This is actually one of those rules for preparing taxes that benefits the taxpayer, as it increases the credits and decreases the taxes owed.