Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student summary Section - "Amount claimed in 2017" and Audit Warning?

Did not go to school in 2017 ( I graduated in 2016), but have "unused tuition and education amounts" that carried over from previous years according to my Notice of Assessment for the tax year of 2016. 

Is the "Amount claimed in 2017" that i see in the Student Summary section automatically calculated by Turbotax? 

I mention this because when doing the final review I got an Audit Warning for Tuition Amount exceeding $5000. 

I just want to know if that "amount claimed in 2017" was automatically calculated by Turbotax. 

Are there any documents I will need, if the CRA does decide to audit based on this amount, or is this just turbotax being exceedingly cautious with that warning?

Much appreciated!

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you have unused tuition amounts from previous years that exceed $5000, you can ignore the warning. It's designed to ensure that users have entered accurate amounts.

If you imported your 2016 information into this year's return, your leftover tuition amounts are carried forward automatically. This figure is then used to calculate the proper tuition deduction for 2017, based on your current income and deductions.

No need for additional documentation as CRA already has your tuition balance on record. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If you have unused tuition amounts from previous years that exceed $5000, you can ignore the warning. It's designed to ensure that users have entered accurate amounts.

If you imported your 2016 information into this year's return, your leftover tuition amounts are carried forward automatically. This figure is then used to calculate the proper tuition deduction for 2017, based on your current income and deductions.

No need for additional documentation as CRA already has your tuition balance on record. 

Perfect, thank you very much!